Hurricane Helene / Milton

Dionysus

Idoit
Admin
Any of our HF gang in the path of this thing?
I think @theiioftx has a place in Alabama, not sure about others.
I hope everyone who needs to has cleared out safely.

Indeed :pray-hands:

I work in the P&C insurance industry for a company based in the Tampa area so we're watching from both a business and personal employee level and this one has the potential to be really bad.

They’re calling him “Lieutenant Dan” (he has his legs but lives on a boat) ... and he plans to ride out Milton in Tampa Bay. I hope he makes it through ok.

241009-hurricane-milton-evacuation-mn-1307-d31fe9.jpeg

This one is getting squirrely. After reaching CAT 5, drier air and high-level wind sheer were supposed to cause some disorganization. So far, that hasn't happened.

If you know anyone in Pinellas County that hasn't evacuated, pray for them.
Fortunately it has happened. Wind is 130 mph. It was 165 mph last night or early this morning.

Fortunately it has happened. Wind is 130 mph. It was 165 mph last night or early this morning.
Wind is now down to 120 mph. Hopefully it drops more before landfall (next few hours).

Lower wind speed will slow water surge. The destruction will still be massive but maybe lower surges will mean fewer deaths.

The "experts" on TV talk about the "storm growing". This is true, and it is absolutely false. The storm was "growing" as it spreads out and was covering a larger area, BUT that also lessened the intensity at its core.

Either way, this is a monster storm which will bring physical devastation to a large area. I have a good friend in Palm Harbor (north of Tampa), and she and her children are riding it out at home. They stocked up on nonperishables and fuel and are prepared to do without electricity for a week or two. She works for American out of Miami and plans on flying out Sunday or Monday.

I think power went out as the storm moved inland to the power plants and transmission lines. Anyway, looks like good weather for the clean-up effort:

IMG_9726.jpeg

So after all the bluster about "The worst hurricane on record" and "Tampa will be destroyed" for at least a week, turns out it was a hurricane with "normal" or "less than normal" damage for a Cat 3 as it was at landfall. Am I missing something?

Vol,

What you are missing is that the media purposely or out of total ignorance forced sensationalism for ratings.

This was an incredibly strong and dangerous storm, but as it approached the coast, it began to spread out (causing the media to rush reports "the storm is growing, the storm is growing"). What was actually happening was that as the storm grew in area, it reduced significantly in core strength. Hence, the eye came onshore with significantly less strength than anticipated.

So after all the bluster about "The worst hurricane on record" and "Tampa will be destroyed" for at least a week, turns out it was a hurricane with "normal" or "less than normal" damage for a Cat 3 as it was at landfall. Am I missing something?
It is the hurricane gods teasing for next season when they turn up the intensity of one that is supposed to be mild.

Watching DeSantis and emergency heads presser. Damn DeSantis is fearless. He said before Milton landed looters would be shot and there would be no price gouging. One area he tried to get taken care of was debris from Helene so it couldn't cause more damage with Milton. He found contracted companies left to go to NC. Others were working bankers hours AND then dump sites closed and locked at 5 pm. He cut the locks and kept the places open 24 hours. Now they have more and more debris to get rid of. DeSantis said they will work 24 hrs to get it gone

Last edited:
I bet those hundeds and hundreds( won't know for weeks) who lost everything don't think the damage was "normal".Their lives are forever changed.
We've got a slew of friends who live in the area who are starting to send photos and videos showing a range from damage to devastation. Some have yards and fences to clean up, others lost everything. While it may not have been what they said it might have been, Milton was still a monster and dismissing it and the efforts the prepare ahead of it is just naive in my opinion.

The dirty side of the eye wall was south of Tampa Bay, so the Tampa area avoided the worse of it. The photos of the worst damage likely came from areas south of Tampa.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back