How to remove ceiling speaker cover?

Is there any standard to these? There are no screws or clips showing, just a speaker grill. I thought they would snap on and off, but I don't want to pry them if it is something that is sometimes screwed in from the attic.

On all the ones that I have seen and installed, the "mesh" grill pulls out giving you access to the screws that mount the speaker. It's somewhat hard to describe if you haven't seen it, but the screws have "wings" or "tabs" that fold up next to the body of the speaker when you unscrew the screws and they rotate out when you tighten the screws so that they keep the speaker from falling through the ceiling. If you want to see for yourself what I am talking about, go to Home Depot and look at the blue plastic "old work" boxes for electrical outlets. In any event, the metal mesh grill should pull out from the assembly and you should then see some screws of some sort to remove the speaker. One wak I have used to gently pull the mesh out if you want to save the speaker is to gently screw a wood screw into one of the hole in the mesh so that you have something to gently pull on. Multiple screws will keep you from deforming the mesh if you spread them out. The again, a knife around the edge has worked just fine. Not the metal or plastic flange, mind you. The mesh.

Here is the trick to removing the grill from the speaker. Take a paper clip or something small to fit through one of the holes close to the outer edge. Place it in a way you can get a little leverage on it and start to pull down. The other way is to take a think knife blade and go between the grill and the bazel of the speaker and work it out. Then follow what the above poster is talking about in getting the speaker out.

Recent Threads

Back