how soon after receiving bonus can one leave a job?

monsterpepe

25+ Posts
Here's the background: over the past several months, I've been courted by another company. Last week they made me a solid offer and we are currently negotiating final details. Next month, my current company will give out annual bonuses. I've done this well for them over the past year and I deserve the bonus, so I'm definitely going to accept it.

Here's my question: how long do I need to wait after receiving the bonus to give notice that I'm leaving? I very much want to leave my current company on good terms... what's professionally appropriate in this situation?

i say you are being paid for services already rendered, so any standard notice that you would give under other circumstances, effective after you receive your bonus, should suffice.

Any company that would make an employee repay their bonus upon leaving is run by a bunch of chickenshits. The bonus is a reward for WORK ALREADY PERFORMED. The person has already earned it -- it's not a gift and it's not a prepayment for work to be performed.

This may have been a situation where in their contract, it states that if they quit before one year, the company gets the signing bonus back.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back