How Honest do you REALLY want to be w/ the TSA

KC-97HORN

500+ Posts
This is the kind of stuff that just blows my mind.
#1 the guy gets through security WITH a loaded gun.

#2, he remembers hes got a loaded gun, goes BACK
to security and turns himself in, making sure that they know its a freaking mistake.

I understand that if you are caught in security bringing a weapon through, you are in deep, deep ****. Its a crazy fine, plus some sort of jail time.

However, for whatever reason, he gets through security, and is home free to do what he wants (and based on his honestly, theres a really good chance he isnt wanting to take over a plane).

But, he turns himself in, and NOW is being charged????

Christ. Yes he screwed up, yes he should have a loaded weapon and if he gets caught in the security zone he deserves everything coming to him.

But the guy is now being massivly punished for bringing the mistake to light.

So in effect, we have just told folks that if they discover an error, they now have 3 choices;

a. Report the error, go to jail
b. fly on the plane - WITH the weapon (although if it was me I would have unloaded it in the bathroom stall and just put it all back in the bag)
c. Go to the bathroom, and throw away all the bullets in the trash can, dismantle the gun, and hope you get to where you are going without getting arrested.

So me, I am thinking either choice b, or c....
The Link

Yikes. I would have turned around, walked right back out of the secure area and put it in my car. I accidently carried a Leatherman tool (it has several very sharp knife blades for those who don't know) on my flight out to the first Rose Bowl. I forgot until I was already on the plane. I had my friend in Cali mail it back to me. I guess I could have just trashed it.

Man, that sucks.

I work with explosives in my job. The residue can stay on clothes and skin for awhile, and I've always worried about it being detected on me or in my stuff.

I generally tell TSA people right away about my line of work and show them ATF documentation if I get randomly selected or if they are swabbing my bags or something.

I personally think that most TSA agents are borderline retarded. I don't know if I have ever gone through security since 9/11 and not thought- "These guys are absolute idiots!! Am I really supposed to feel safe with this idiots in charge of security?"

TSA =Thousands Standing Around

But I got caught with a knife I left in my bag, the TSA woman was nice and offered to give me the knife back to put in my car or to ditch it.

I have a pocket knife with maybe a 2" blade that I have on my keychain. TSA told me I couldn't take it through when I was dropping my 10-year-old son off at the gate when he was flying up to see his grandparents.

What, I was gonna slip it through security, and then give it to him, and he was gonna commandeer a 737 with a blade half the size of my pinky?

I ended up taking it off my keychain and hiding it in an airport bookstore by the ticketing agents.

Just reading that story, I have to believe that a judge with any common sense will realize exactly what happened, probably give him a fine and tell him to think twice about where he stores his firearms, and send him on his way. Just my thoughts.

A different outcome: I once sat next to a businessman on a plane who told me about going through security with a pistol he had forgotten about in his briefcase. Nobody noticed. A few minutes later, he realized his mistake and ended up having a drink in the bar to think about what to do. Then he noticed a sign about how it was a felony to have a gun in the bar! He considered going back to the x-ray and telling them about it, but decided his best bet was to just be cool and act normal. He said it was very stressful and took lots of effort to avoid panicking, but he pulled it off and made it home safe.

OK....how hard is it to remember when you have a gun on you? I mean seriously...come on.

Either way, I'm fine with it as long as the guy didn't have a 5ounce stick of Right Guard Gel

Did he have his 2 oz bottle of Drakkar in a Ziplok? That should count for something with the judge...

Man, I nearly went Postal on the way home from PHX couple weeks ago, but just knew I'd spend half an hour in a cold white room while 12 TSA team-members inspected my bags.

I was stripping and bagging all my gear in my carry-on and popping my shoes off to ensure that I comply with the Richard whats-his-name rule, and was just generally pissed about the fact that 19 young men have affected our civil liberties so adversely. Already infuriated, I get to listen to the drone of some 19-year old punkinhead on the other side of the metal detector telling all of the folks in his best commanding voice, "I need to see your ID and you tickets as you come through".

I realise he was just a bored stupid kid, but it just toasted me to no end as all I heard was "PAPERS PLEASE!"

19 young men took LEGAL box cutters on board planes without reinforced cockpit doors (they are now) and without any undercover security (we have these folks flying regularly now) and hi-jacked 4 planes in the era when you sit back and follow instructions and end up on the tarmac in a warm southern-climate country while awaiting some sort of resolution (now, we'd beat them half to death before they got "Death to America" halfway out their mouth).

19 guys. Now we strip half naked, pour out half a cup of $5 Starbucks, don't lock our stowed luggage, take our shoes off and walk around in socks through a metal detector praying that we don't buzz it and get patted down by some $12 / hour member of this BRAND NEW BRANCH of Govt (created by the GD Republican Party!!!). We no longer can walk our family members to the gate and wait with them, we have to come to the airport 2 hours early for Int'l flights, we bag what little amount of liquids we can carry in Ziploks or we trash them .

And soon, we'll finally get those National ID Cards we've always wanted and when someone says, "Papers Please", we'll have 'em.

19 guys did this and a whole Hell of a lot more in a county that just popped over 300 Million.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back