grad school?

Longhorny630

1,000+ Posts
So, I graduated in May with a BS in Aerospace Engineering and have yet to find a job. I had some leads that didn't work out and am starting to think maybe I go and get my masters while I wait for the market to get a little better. I'd need to get an assistantship as I have no money and am wondering if anybody knows a school that would 'hire' me. I pulled a 2.8 in my undergrad, with one year of PT work and a summer internship, haven't taken the GRE yet. I'm looking at Northern Illinois as it's close to home and I could essentially pocket the stipend for living but, I'll go wherever. Any thoughts/ideas?

Did you go to UT for your BS? I don't know the extent of your job search but if you cast a wide net into everything that flies (satellites, planes, helicopters) and are willing to work anywhere in the world you might find something. Canada (Bombardier), Brazil (Embraer), and Europe (EADS/Airbus) employ a lot of aerospace engineers.

You might also consider a PhD since they're almost always guaranteed funding. If you can get an assistantship doing an MS consider borrowing the money and getting the MS in something like EE which will pay very well when you graduate and can still be applied to aerospace engineering if that is your passion.

Yah, I went to UT. A few schools (including UT) have a minimum set at 3.0. A&M doesn't but....no way I'd go there. I don't it would matter anyway because with a low GPA I think it lowers to chance of getting an assistantship anyway.

I've always kinda hated circuits and that whole branch of engineering so I'd much prefer to stick to more mechanical based stuff. And loans....kinda wanna stay away from that, considering my parents were expecting me to get paychecks and not still be on the payroll.

Don't dismiss A&M, you don't have to get involved the Corps culture; plenty don't. It has a ton of international students. They have a great engineering program too. A friend of mine went to UT for her BA and is getting a PhD at A&M, she's the kind of person who lives for Austin but is still enjoying her time in College Station. She bought her own house (very cheap) and makes frequent trips to Austin. Besides, for an MS you'd only be there two years.

To raise your GPA, have you considered taking classes at ACC? Most grad schools only look at your whole college career GPA, not just the GPA of your major in the last school you went to.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back