Girls in a Boat - By Billy Dale

Billy Dale

The History of Longhorn Sports through 2014
So, I have often wondered why all Longhorn athletes who run, sprint, lift weights, and practice techniques don't also row for shape. After all, rowing enhances stamina and works the arms, legs, back, heart, and lungs. Athletes who row are in shape!!
Rowing as an NCAA sport may not be interesting to the casual fan, but it is fully appreciated by those who have shared the rowing experience. I rowed in my youth, and it was too hard for me.
The Horns managed to win the national championship in rowing in both 2022 and 2023. It's unbelievable that these athletes achieved what the Washington Huskies did in the pseudo-documentary called "Boys in the Boat." The movie, directed by George Clooney and released in 2023, is a sports drama based on the #1 New York Times bestselling non-fiction novel by Daniel James Brown.
Even Kirk Bohls asks about the movie "How did this true-life film about the 1936 Olympic rowing team from the University of Washington not get an Oscar nomination?
I felt like I was living vicariously through these boys as they worked hard to achieve their dreams of winning a championship. I absolutely loved the movie for several reasons, but what stood out to me was the intense practice routine the boys had to follow to win. It was incredibly challenging and took a lot of hard work and dedication. After seeing the movie, I thought about the women's Longhorn rowing team.
I will now live vicariously through the Longhorn women's rowing team.
I plan to support them in the future and cheer them on as they display their passion for rowing. These women embody the purest essence of a NCAA-sanctioned sport. They practice and dream of winning without a promise of gold at the end of the rainbow. Rowing is definitely something that I will contribute to through the Texas One Fund. Go Longhorns!

rowing banner.jpg
rowing National Champions.jpg

Recent Threads

Back