Football and Baseball vs Basketball Standards

ronich

100+ Posts
I wish we had the same standards of excellence for our Basketball Program and Coach as we do for Football and Baseball (and swimming, golf, softball, track...)

I think CdC does have the same standard of excellence for basketball. He hired Beard, which was at the time and should have been the equivalent of excellence that Sark (based on what he has done) brought and what we expect Schlossnagle to bring based on past results. You can't blame CdC for Beard bringing crazy with him (I still shake my head at what could have been. In my opinion, however humble it may be, CdC had no choice but to keep Terry under the circumstances and that hire may work out fine. If not, CdC will bring in another head coach that will fill the bill of excellence again, based on the hires he has made so far.

I think the bottom line was that we didn't know the dollars and cents breakdown of what the Beard aftermath would be like. On top of that, Terry goes and wins the conference tournament and takes that roster to the Elite-8. It's my opinion that the roster probably could have driven itself to the Elite-8 without any head coach, but I'm not blind to the idea that others don't believe that.

In addition, NCAA men's coaches aren't proven commodities like some football ones are. John Calipari is a good example. Getting the next "Dan Hurley" is a tall task.

I would also add that we are not a blue blood in basketball like we are in Football, Baseball, and swimming for sure and often near the top in Golf, maybe even Tennis, Track and field but not sure about those.

We may not be blue blood now but CDC will get us there. We had one who on his own screwed it up
How do you define "blue blood"?

I define it as a program that has been setting the standard for excellence for a long enough time that said program is acknowledged by all to be a consistent leader in the sport. We qualify in baseball, and barely qualify in football. Our history in basketball doesn't come close.

With that said, CDC can't get us there. It would take 20+ years of consistent excellence to start being considered as a blue blood. CDC could possibly make us nouveau riche with the right hire, and that would take us back to the two seasons of TJ Ford.

Back