Expanded CFP

guy4321

2,500+ Posts
With 12 teams in the CFP, there are now several rounds.

This season, the first round games are Dec 20-21.
The second round games are Dec 31-Jan 1.
The third round games are Jan 9-10.
The fourth round game is Jan 20.

The Rose Bowl has asked to be a permanent quarterfinal game to preserve it's Jan 1 gameday.

Seems like you could grant that but give it the title game some seasons like the BCS did in 2010 and 2014.

With 12 teams in the CFP, there are now several rounds.

This season, the first round games are Dec 20-21.
The second round games are Dec 31-Jan 1.
The third round games are Jan 9-10.
The fourth round game is Jan 20.

The Rose Bowl has asked to be a permanent quarterfinal game to preserve it's Jan 1 gameday.

Seems like you could grant that but give it the title game some seasons like the BCS did in 2010 and 2014.
If they want to be an all-time quarterfinal, then so be it. I see no need to further reward them with the championship game too.

The Rose Bowl is rather iconic, but the CFP does seem to favor NFL stadiums so their odds are low no matter what they do.

The Rose Bowl remains the single worst run facility I've ever been to. If it rains, they lose 90% of their parking. Concessions are hideous - what moron runs out of food twenty minutes before kickoff of the National Championship Game? Turn the damn thing into a clubhouse for the golf course.

If they want to be an all-time quarterfinal, then so be it. I see no need to further reward them with the championship game too.

The Rose Bowl was never going to host a CFP championship game. There really just aren't the amenities (i.e. $100 parking spots) to be the main stage.

SoFi 45 minutes away (sans traffic) is far more likely.

It'll settle in to a Super Bowl style rotation.
LA
Vegas
Glendale
Arlington
New Orleans
Miami Gardens
Atlanta

I think we might get Houston or Jacksonville (new stadium opens in 2028) on occasion. Santa Clara if they're feeling frisky.

The Rose Bowl is rather iconic, but the CFP does seem to favor NFL stadiums so their odds are low no matter what they do.
Calling the Rose Bowl a pit is an insult to pits everywhere. At least for the 2005 Game, the crowd kept the place rocking. Go to a UCLA game and it is like playing in a cemetery.

I'm honestly most interested in the first round games. Let's say Boise or Cincy or someone with a 30K-seat stadium is undefeated or 11-1 or 12-1 or whatever one year and gets to host a first-weekend game.

Does Boise consider getting $$$ to move it to Seattle or Denver? Does Cincy go to Paycor Stadium instead? I think these are the fun questions and we'll see how much pride some of these institutions have.

I have no doubt we'd choose to host at DKR if that was the case, but I think it's kind of interesting to see where the other chips would fall.

Biggest argument to be made is researching the financial position of UConn, who lost over $3 million on a single bowl trip to the Fiesta Bowl. A wannabe school that makes a deep run in the playoffs can indeed be crippled financially regardless of TV money.

Biggest argument to be made is researching the financial position of UConn, who lost over $3 million on a single bowl trip to the Fiesta Bowl. A wannabe school that makes a deep run in the playoffs can indeed be crippled financially regardless of TV money.
Yeah and UCF lost twice that amount going to the Fiesta Bowl as well.

I guess they could always just take a page out of the school districts from the Texas HS football playoffs and do "budget amendments" each week.

Yeah and UCF lost twice that amount going to the Fiesta Bowl as well.

I guess they could always just take a page out of the school districts from the Texas HS football playoffs and do "budget amendments" each week.

That would be an interesting scenario - moving a home playoff game to a bigger venue.

That would be an interesting scenario - moving a home playoff game to a bigger venue.
Or even just a separate venue that wants the tourism money. Maybe you get Auburn @ Notre Dame one year (yeah I know far-fetched). The city of Nashville and Nissan are like "we'll give ND $5MM and Auburn $2.5MM to host it at Nissan Stadium and we get to keep all the revenues from tix/concessions, etc.

At some point the money gets hard to turn down.

Or even just a separate venue that wants the tourism money. Maybe you get Auburn @ Notre Dame one year (yeah I know far-fetched). The city of Nashville and Nissan are like "we'll give ND $5MM and Auburn $2.5MM to host it at Nissan Stadium and we get to keep all the revenues from tix/concessions, etc.

At some point the money gets hard to turn down.

Does the CFP have an published rules of what counts as a home stadium? I'm sure those can be thrown out the window as soon as Nissan says how about some money to you, Mr. CFP.

Does the CFP have an published rules of what counts as a home stadium? I'm sure those can be thrown out the window as soon as Nissan says how about some money to you, Mr. CFP.
It just says "hosts" in the CFP bylaw language. As in, Seeds 5-8 host Seeds 9-12 in the first round. I honestly don't think the CFP or NCAA or conferences would have the balls to say that it would have to be at their home stadium.

Additionally, schools could get litigious and say that schools like UCLA, SDSU, UConn, etc. don't "host" games at their campus, but rather an off-site leased facility somewhat near their location. What's the difference between that and just going to any nearby NFL stadium? Or one across the country if the "host" wants to do so for $$$?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Back