Company doesn't do letters of reference

txangel03

25+ Posts
I am attempting to go back to school to get a MBA from either Kenan-Flagler or McCombs. Both schools require letters of reference from my current employer. Unfortunately for me, my company doesn't do letters of reference. I have only worked for this company since graduating from college. All forms must be approved by our legal department and they have forbid me from soliciting recommendations from my leaders. Does anyone know how to get around this? At this point I have no desire to stay at the company, but it seems that I can't leave either.
brickwall.gif

I cannot offer much help, but I faced the same situation with my former employer. I was SHOCKED when they told me this.

I had two former supervisors write letters on the DL for me... not sure if that is a potential for you. The ones that didn't offered to be a reference instead.

Anyway to approach anyone outside of work?

Techinally? Yes. However, I don't want to get anyone into trouble since Legal already said no - and are likely watching me just a little bit closer at this point since I "raised the flag." Plus, if i get the letters but get fired AND don't get into grad school...kinda up a creek without a paddle.
mad.gif

Contact the school (or program advisor) and see if they can give advice. To be sure this is not the first time this issue has come up.

i hear ya, just teasing. your timing should be decent on b-school. those park tickets are getting expensive, $70 and up. i can't remember the last time i was on property and i'm in town about 4 times/year visiting the parents.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back