COBOL jobs Dallas or Austin?

ghostofbevo

25+ Posts
I am an out-of-work COBOL programmer in Dallas and am seeking the
same or similar in Dallas or Austin. I know this is not bleeding-edge
technology, but there still seems to be a demand for these jobs
elsewhere. If anyone know of anything or a viable type of employment
I might pursue, PLEASE let me know! The house/mortgage is riding on this one, unfortunately.Hook'em!

My wife was a COBOL programmer for 5 years in Houston. NEVER had a problem getting a good job or contract. Have you tried DICE?

Dice

Thanks for the suggestion: I have alerts from DICE, MONSTER
and a few others as wel as job alerts from corporate websites emailed to me as they materialize. So far I have been employed only 4 months this year. It does seem there are more COBOL openings in San Antonio and Houston, but
I don't know anyone there to assist with a place to live and so
forth in the preliminary phase. The Dallas market is just horrible and rife with laid-off programmers competing for a shrinking pool of jobs. If anybody has any other suggestions,
I would be very grateful - thanks to any and all of the Longhorn family!

I was under the impression that Trailblazer is always hiring but that the work is not great. Also, the BoA/MBNA conversion project is good for contractors.

Thanks VRHorn. I tried Trailblazer last year and it was a bad deal,
as you said. BOA is known as a nightmare (actually, so was MBNA) and I think they've mostly "taken over" after the acquisition and contract work there has slowed to a trickle. I think way too many techies moved here ( I am a native Dallasite and remember) and when telecomm blew up and other corporations downsized and outsourced to India...there were too many seekers to too few jobs. I'd love to relocate to Austin, but I am waiting to see if there
are any responses to my applications. I was an honors graduate in
high school and college, on the Dean's list and National Honor Society (HS)...yet am unemployed and have been for a long period
of time a couple of years ago too. Very deflating!

Thanks for the tips, however! I really appreciate you guys taking a
moment to suggest some possibilities.

Check with all the large financial services firms, especially insurance compaies. Many have lots of legacy apps where COBOL is still very much in use. Also look into telecommuting options as a contracting developer; I know Dice.com has lots of those.

Is COBOL your only language?

I GOT a job in Austin!

THANK YOU ALL for your help and thoughtfulness.

Working for the state in IT again in the land of longhorns and armadillos...

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back