Coach Prime and the press

TexanNexile

Born and raised in Texas-now exiled to Arkansas

This will be interesting to watch . The reporter had some comical names for coach but did not seem to be so far over the line to be banned. This is a fight coach might have been better advised to avoid. The press helped make 'prime' and it is a part of the job at a large university.
It is a little surprising that the school jumped on the bandwagon as well.

Not surprising at all if you know the history of the CU administrations - a cesspool of ignorance, arrogance, and contradictions.

A president known best for her quote after firing Gary Barnett - "what do you mean we owe him $9 million? We don't have that kind of money"

Or "Bill please don't do this; can we just talk about it" after learning Coach Mc was going to announce his "retirement" in the postgame press conference, because she told him he needed to "dial back the Jesus stuff". (McCarthy founded one of the largest men's Christian groups in American often meeting in football stadiums). Watching video of her chasing him down Folsom Field after the game was hilarious.

A school that couldn't raise $300,000 for a practice bubble, but paid hookers for recruiting weekends. (This was well before Barnett)

FWIW, OA Phillips banned a Texas newspaper Sports Editor from the team plane because of his personal criticism of Bum. (The guy has been "president" of the "Bum Phillips' *** kissing club" for 30 years.) The newspaper is a daily and only about four pages.

Sanders only has a job because he is good press for CU, but more importantly CU doesn't have the money to pay off his contract. He thought this job was a steppingstone to the NFL and would get his kid the Hype$man.

Great talent, great knowledge of the game, but not so much about personal interaction.

Last edited:
Not surprising at all if you know the history of the CU administrations - a cesspool of ignorance, arrogance, and contradictions.
no money and unreasonable expectations makes for a mess. I hate to bring the game up again, but that Texas QB mess at Texas Stadium against Colorado was the Buffs highpoint. It gave their Administration false confirmation that they were big time. They have been chasing their tails ever since.

Don't be surprised if Sanders and his son both are on Jerrah's payroll next season.

This will be interesting to watch . The reporter had some comical names for coach but did not seem to be so far over the line to be banned. This is a fight coach might have been better advised to avoid. The press helped make 'prime' and it is a part of the job at a large university.
It is a little surprising that the school jumped on the bandwagon as well.
Wasn't it H. L. Mencken who said, "Never pick a fight with a guy who buys his ink by the barrel."?

Last edited:

A president known best for her quote after firing Gary Barnett - "what do you mean we owe him $9 million? We don't have that kind of money"

Or "Bill please don't do this; can we just talk about it" after learning Coach Mc was going to announce his "retirement" in the postgame press conference, because she told him he needed to "dial back the Jesus stuff". (McCarthy founded one of the largest men's Christian groups in American often meeting in football stadiums). Watching video of her chasing him down Folsom Field after the game was hilarious.

A school that couldn't raise $300,000 for a practice bubble, but paid hookers for recruiting weekends. (This was well before Barnett)

FWIW, OA Phillips banned a Texas newspaper Sports Editor from the team plane because of his personal criticism of Bum. (The guy has been "president" of the "Bum Phillips' *** kissing club" for 30 years.) The newspaper is a daily and only about four pages.

Sanders only has a job because he is good press for CU, but more importantly CU doesn't have the money to pay off his contract. He thought this job was a steppingstone to the NFL and would get his kid the Hype$man.

Great talent, great knowledge of the game, but not so much about personal interaction.
I’ve said it before, but it’s true. Deion is a self-aggrandizing horse’s a**. From all indications, he is a very poor role model, and he plays favorites – particularly with his sons. It’s embarrassing to behold. It’s also disgusting that an individual like this – with such behavior – can capture so much national attention. But then again, media outlets like ESPN are looking for eyeballs and clicks, and they could care less about any level of responsibility.

I’ve said it before, but it’s true. Deion is a self-aggrandizing horse’s a**. From all indications, he is a very poor role model, and he plays favorites – particularly with his sons. It’s embarrassing to behold. It’s also disgusting that an individual like this – with such behavior – can capture so much national attention. But then again, media outlets like ESPN are looking for eyeballs and clicks, and they could care less about any level of responsibility.
Should we move this to West Mall? :)

In all seriousness, Deion does not help himself. You think they'd have a media coach for him through the PR department. But, as sabre pointed out, the CU administration is a poop show. Also, his kid is good but he's not a 1st round draft pick or future top 10 NFL QB in my mind.

I've gone from rooting for Deion's success to enjoying the fall. (As a lifelong supporter of Barry Switzer,) I think character should count.

Bubba,

There may be more, but there is one glaring difference between Barry and Deion. I tell people all the time that no coach ever cared more about his players than Barry. I don't think anyone will ever put Deion in the top 100 coaches in that category. Deion is all about Deion.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back