Career change- job that has travel - UPDATE

iplaydrums

100+ Posts
Update- The last few weeks have been hectic for me since the original posting. I've been over the pond a bit interviewing for a job with a large firm in Germany..and I got a pretty damn good offer. Thanks for the advice everyone!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking for a career change. I'm in my mid-twenties and single, and figured now would be a good time to look at different options. My background consists mainly of Marketing. I also have experience with non-profits and fundraising. My job involves everything from client communication to developing marketing strategies.

Simply stated, I do like my job, but I feel that there is no room for advancement where I'm at in the future. The lifestyle of going to a cubicle everyday isn't quite for me. I do get to travel for work a bit, but that will be ending in a few weeks.

I'm 100% serious...have you considered the military? Navy and Air Force will have you travelling all over the place. They have good computer jobs, as well as jobs in many other categories. If you have a college degree you could be an officer, gets you added benefits.

At least something to think about.

One thing I forgot to mention: if you want to go to graduate school, they'll help you pay for it.

try continental airlines...

my wife works for them and depending on your department, you do get to travel. Plus you get free flights, so you can travel even more!

If you're interested in a London-based, highly-analytical (i.e. get ready to impress us with your Excel skills) online marketing position with the world's largest airline, then I might have a job you could consider. I'll tell you up front, though, that I'm about 1% confident that I would be able to hire you if you were to interview successfully. If this position can't be filled internally, then I expect that I'll be able to find a Brit to fill it. Could be difficult to get a visa and relo package for you in that circumstance.

Go interview with one of the SI's or consulting firms like Deloitte, Accenture, etc. There are plenty of roles within those companies that are 100% travel. After 2 or 3 years of that, you will likely get it out of your system.

The cutoff for enlistments in the Army and Marines is approaching near 40 y.o. It may be less for Navy and Air Force but not that much. You are waaaaay in the range and very desired already having a degree.

Work it for a signing bonus and invest that. Get as much schooling as you can while in there, attend night classes, online classes, you name it. Maybe even go to OCS and be an officer, make a career of travelling even if you get a family in the process. Buy some property or a house in Texas with your benefits and earn equity on it while renting it out.

Then when you retire in your mid 40s, sell that property and use your benefits again only with a hefty amount going to a down payment. Buy some acres of land and have a fantastic house with lots of chances to work while having retirement money and beni's roll in.

Also, look into the Coast Guard. They do their jobs every day and they vary from port and harbor security, catching drug runners on the seas to saving peoples lives. Tons of support and computers go into that. You will always live on the water or in some great beach.

My uncle was CG and he lived in Seattle, Guam, New Orleans, Virginia Beach and Port Aransas. He travelled everywhere in Central America, the South Pacific and scuba dived tons too. Deep sea fishing most of the time out at sea. Catch 'em and cook 'em.

Do not go Infantry. It was fun while in but knowing how to have and having killed people does not look good on a resume for most places.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back