Breakout Players This Season

dukesteer

5,000+ Posts
My last attempt to engage HornFans in an exercise like this failed miserably. Maybe this one will elicit more interest.

I thought it might be fun to see which players, O & D, members believe will have the “biggest breakout season” this year. I’ll go first. This is definitely not an easy endeavor given the talent on this team, the hype, or both.

Offense

This is a crapshoot because I can think of four receivers, at least one TE, and two running backs plus Quinn that could be picked. Then there’s Cam Williams.

Excluding Quinn, my top four are Bolden, Gipson, Blue and Wingo.

Choice: Bolden

Defense

This side of the ball is not much easier. My top four are Ant Hill, Tre Moore, Mohammed, and Alfred Collins.

Choice: Collins (I’m hoping that this will finally be the year.)

With an embarassment of wealth on the edge, its a bit of a traffic jam. Assuming Coach PK can scheme it, I believe Collin Simmons will be a sack beast.

Vernon is due. He's already graduated (thank you, Mom), now it's time for him to go get a fat check to help "Mom". He has the tools, Mom will make sure he has the "want".

Vernon is due. He's already graduated (thank you, Mom), now it's time for him to go get a fat check to help "Mom". He has the tools, Mom will make sure he has the "want".
Certain players are just likable and you really want to pull for them. I thought that Christian Jones was that guy last year, and perhaps Vernon and CJ Baxter are those guys on this team. That is not to suggest that there aren’t a number (perhaps many) very likable players, because there are. It’s just that these particular fellows stand out to me.

My choice on defense is Trey Moore. It is followed very closely by Collins. I only give the "breakout" edge to Moore because we already know what Alfred has flashed in a Texas uniform.

Offense: Cameron Williams
Defense: Vernon Broughton

Performance equivalents from the past:
Golden - Adonai Mitchell (although probably not as many TDs)
Bolden - J-Whitt (although probably more TDs)
Wisner - K. Robinson
Bond + Cook + Wingo = basically all of Worthy's numbers plus a little extra in terms of receptions.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back