Any actuaries on the board?

Thinking about embarking on an actuarial career. Signed up for the first two exams (P and FM) in March and May respectively.

I've had a 5 year audit career after graduating in accounting and basically am fed up with it in every possible way.

I've always had a keen interest in statistics and majored in engineering before accounting and loved all the calculus and linear algebra I took. I maintain a large database of stats I use to help in formulating my wagering strategies and figured actuarial work might actually be a good fit. I've taken a few practice exams and the first two exams seem fairly easy to pass.

Everything I've read says actuaries are generally very happy with their career and they are well compensated.

Anyone out there willing to let me pick their brain about the profession?

Back in the 70s we had a pitcher from Wisconsin who was majoring in actuarial science. He told me then when students graduate in AS, the insurance companies come down to Austin, and the graduates interview THEM.

But, boy, that is a dry field. You gotta love numbers.

Good luck with it. Please don't tell me when I'm going to die.

Well, there is at least one actuary on the board.
laugh.gif

Yes, it is a very good career but only for certain people. It sounds like you are one of those people. My initial advice is to pass at least one exam before you start your job search. You will be taken much more seriously that way.

Unfortunately, the exams have changed a lot since I took them, so I can't help you there.

I'm more than happy to tell you more...just ask. You can respond here, pm me, or email me (it's on my profile).

I am no actuary, but worked at an actuary firm in Austin for the better part of 10 years.

Rudd and Widsom is the name of the firm and a good chunk of the firms partners are Horns.

I would recommend giving the firm a call as I am betting you could get someone there to offer a good bit of advice about the career. I also know that they have a fairly extensive summer internship program, that may be helpful as well.

These days, I believe you need to have passed two exams as that is what is expected of most graduates. Strangely, I too am embarking on this journey though I haven't nutted up to signup for exams. I am moving from Compliance not Audit.

You could stop by the Actuary club on campus. They meet in the evenings and study for tests. They also have guest lecturers from the field.

i've been working at mercer for 6 years as a consulting actuary. there are 2 main types of actuaries, consulting and insurance.

within consulting, there are property & casualty, retirement and health/welfare and others.

i'm not as familiar with insurance, but i'm sure there are other types as well.

feel free to shoot me a PM if you wanna know more.

I'm sort of late to the party on this, but since I've been retired from the actuarial profession now for 7 years, I don't really give a rats *** about job networking anymore. I was in the business (insurance and then benefits consulting) for nearly 30 years, retiring as a managing principal of a major consulting firm, so I would be glad to provide you with any information.

If no one had told you by now, contact Jim Daniels at the UT Actuarial Science Program, which is associated with the Math Dept., for a lot of details.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back