Amsterdam coffee shops

UT wildcatter

100+ Posts
I read somewhere 2-3 years ago that the coffee shops were going to lose their licenses and be shut-down after January 1 of 2007.

Obviously this didn't happen or I would have hear more news and headlines concerning something like this.

Anybody know where I got this weird idea they may stop the fun?

i think crime was increasing so they were cracking down on dealers and thieves..not so much the coffee shops

No, this action was something I read about on the internet around 2004. A bill was trying to become legalized after 2006. Ofcourse all of Amsterdam was trying to stop the action.

At one point, they decided to not grant any additional licenses for coffee shops, and not renew any licenses that had been revoked/suspended (for non-payment, etc). I'm not sure if this is still in effect.

It was similar to cigarette smoking bans- it was designed to protect the health of the employees of said establishments. The cafes keep drug use behind walls (somewhat) and these new laws would have pushed all the weedheads out onto the streets. I think once people realized this consequence, they backed off.

Recent Threads

Back