Acton MBA

Horn_2004

25+ Posts
Have any of you heard about this program? I am taking my GMAT and applying to UT and Rice and recently was told about Acton. I looked into it but not to sure. Taught by well known entrepreneur and only one year but does it guarantee job security? Thanks so much.

IIRC this is made up of a bunch of guys that defected from UT, briefly went to St. Eds and now have their own program.

A quick google search turned up some good reviews. I'd say this. If you are really going to be an entrepreneur, then the name on your MBA means absolutely nothing. So if these guys know as much as they claim, the knowledge might be worth it. However, I don't see this thing opening any doors for you if you end up looking for a job somewhere.

I've heard very interesting things about this program. They work your *** off, but you get your MBA much more quickly. They have a very interesting tuition model. They just built a new building just east of 35 right on Town Lake. It is apparantly the best MBA you can get if you want real world entrepenureal skills....

That is all I know.

A good friend of mine went through it. They bust your ***, but you learn a lot.

As far as jobs, my only observation would be he was offered a 6-figure salary from Wells Fargo coming out...so people are noticing.

Acton is taught my some of the best (adjunct, i.e., real world experience, non-academics) professors from my experience at UT MBA (1995 - 97). The central figure (and founder of the program) in this is Jeff Sandefer, a guy who went to Harvard and made his bones in the oil business. Easily my top 2 favorites professors.

The style is Harvard like in that it is probably "case driven", combined with the new twist of actual real world activity during the time you are in school. If you can get in, it's a great alternative. Sandefer and the guys from UT (e.g., Tomlinson) and other schools have a tremendous and loyal following from their former students (who more than likely are fairly succesful and influential in their company's recruiting process).

So I suspect the thinking on this from those that know about Acton is that if you are good enough to get into Jeff's school, then you are pretty good and would likely do well at 99% of the schools out there. If you survive Jeff's school (long hours, critical thinking & analysis, thinking on your feet) and actually do well, then you are a bad *** and will have (maybe only 30% of recruiters that UT MBA program has, but it's the "high end, top paying, most coveted jobs" 30% that's coming to recruit you.

If you get in, do yourself a favor, respectfully tell everyone you care about and cares about you and that you are gonna embark on a very important and intense program and that you are not likely to have alot of free time to hang out for the next 12 months. It'll be tough...but it will be worth it.

Jeff left his role as an Entrepeurship professor at UT MBA program over "philosophical differences" between and the program's new direction in some areas. He stood firm and found a school that would support his vision.

I have a good friend that graduated from the Acton program last year. As mentioned above, it is taught using case study. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a very accelerated program. It is a one year program, but you pretty much have to give up your life for a year to make it. 90+ hour weeks are pretty much expected from what I understand.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back