ACL Surgeon Referral for my 13 year old

< 25 Posts
Hey Horns,

Bad news....my 13 year old son tore his ACL last week and I'm researching who could do this reconstructive procedure for him.....very delicate situation with growth plate issues. We live in Austin/Round Rock, but are willing to go where we can find the best. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated so we can get Jack back up and at 'em.

I had Austin Sports Medicine for ankle surgery but know several people that had their ACLs fixed by them.The Link

They also work with the UT men's athletic teams

Dr. Carey Windler is the knee surgeon for the Horns. He also did my knee surgery when I was in high school. Highly recommend him.

John Pearce at Austin Bone & Joint is currently treating Mrs. ATF's MCL strain. He has a great rep and regularly treats many Longhorn's, male and female.The Link I see a lot of high school athletes in his office.

He did a shoulder replacement for me in 2007 and put a plate and a few 3" screws in my right knee in '08.

Great guy and a pretty good Doc. Austin High/UT alum.

Many tri-athletes, cyclists, and soccer players I know have gone to Dr. Carey Windler and Austin Sports Medicine. They are one of the best in the state. I wish I had gone to them for my meniscus tear.

I can also recommend one not to use. Anyone from SETON - ARC Orthopedic Group.

Update: since he's 13, there are growth plate issues to contend with, and this is a unique specialty in pediatric orthopedic medicine. All arrows pointed to Dr. Kocher in Boston, who's pioneered a technique specifically for skeletally immature patients with open growth plates.

We had the surgery yesterday at Children's Hospital Boston by Dr. Kocher. It went well, and Jack's recovering right now. Next up is rehab/Physical Therapy. He'll miss soccer, football and basketball this season, but should be back for track and spring soccer.

Thanks for all the input....we're now off an (almost) running.

Hope the little one gets back to 110%
hookem.gif

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back