9/15/2024 AP Poll Texas #1

horninchicago

10,000+ Posts
This deserves its own thread. Only the 7th week, 8 if you include being ranked #1 after the 2006 Rose Bowl, that Texas has been ranked AP #1 since 1980. As an 11 year old kid who was a bigger Cowboys fan, I wasn't even aware of Texas being #1 in 1981 for a week and vaguely aware in 1984 for 2 weeks.

This is a monumental accomplishment for Sark and this program. It took Mack Brown 10 and a third regular seasons to ever achieve AP #1. I am stunned that Texas jumped Georgia with Ewers out, even as bad as GA looked last night.

Wow, what a great thing to see the number 1 next to Texas.

Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 2.21.16 PM.png

Last edited:
Good to see the Longhorns ranked #1 - but it's very early in the season. I'm not sure there's much distinction at this point. As some of the "experts" have said, it seems pretty clear that Texas, Georgia, and Ohio State (in some order) are the top three (and Alabama is nipping at their heels). We'll be able to put more stock in the polls next month.

I am also surprised we passed Georgia. If we were still Big 12, I don't think we would have. Odd because we haven't started conference play, but voters love the letters S-E-C. Give me more weeks at #1.

I am also surprised we passed Georgia. If we were still Big 12, I don't think we would have. Odd because we haven't started conference play, but voters love the letters S-E-C. Give me more weeks at #1.
Let's hope for more than 3 weeks like 2008. Last time Texas was regular season AP #1 for more than 3 weeks was Earl's Hype$man year.

It’s great to see Sark building on what Herman started…

:yippee:
Charlie cut the wheat, herman mixed in the water and yeast, sark just had to start the fermentation, distill it down, proof it, and blend in different batches. charlie and herman deserve salaries still as far as i'm concerned.

edit: that was sarcasm

Last edited:
The only things Strong and Binder did that were good was **** up at just the right times to put Texas in the position to end up hiring Sark, who is looking to be a legend in the making. They don't deserve jack **** otherwise.

Last edited:
Charlie cut the wheat, herman mixed in the water and yeast, sark just had to start the fermentation, distill it down, proof it, and blend in different batches. charlie and herman deserve salaries still as far as i'm concerned.

So, I know winning is hard.....

In light of this great news being polled #1. Do I dare ask you if the cake is baked or in the oven and close?

Last edited:
So, I know winning is hard.....

In light of this great news being polled #1. Do I dare ask you if the cake is baked or in the oven and close?
"We just have to play better." - Charlie

"Winning is hard, especially when your pee is yellow." - Binder Boy
'We won practice this week." - Binder Boy

Just keep clapping, Mack.

"We just have to play better." - Charlie

"Winning is hard, especially when your pee is yellow." - Binder Boy
'We won practice this week." - Binder Boy

Just keep clapping, Mack.

Reminds me, Binder Boy...

YOU, YOU,

leaving Sam Elingher on the field, BY HIMSELF, to sing and respect The Eyes of Texas!!!

Steve Patterson did more damage to The University of Texas in a shorter period of time than any human being in history
Amen to that.

A few thoughts about all this:

-- The landscape has changed in a really short amount of time, and there's no way Texas and its $$$ would be left off the short list over time. Yeah, you still have to win the games on the field, but with NIL and now the eventual "no more walkons or scholarship limits" that's coming down the pipeline, Texas is poised to be right there with the top-15 programs in the country. Like, forever.

-- Mack inherited Ricky, a good OL, and an abysmal defense. The fact that we finished the season ranked 12 straight times before the 2010 disaster is arguably more impressive than getting to #1 in 2024 because of those aforementioned changes.

-- My "major" Texas football consciousness was probably a hair after HiC's, which means that the late 80s were terrible, the 1990 season was a tease, and then we were right back to terrible. Wins only made me happy if it shut up Aggies or Red Raiders or whoever. I approach pretty much every game like a coach and criticize the things we can control to a fault. In a Saban-esque way, the only "rest" I've really felt was late into the 1/04/2006 evening, before going right back to "welp what are we gonna do" when VY declared. We will always have a target on us. I think it's time I just appreciate the opportunity and keep supporting.

@Horns11, I was only trying to emphasize that as good as Mack Brown's teams were, the #1 ranking, in my lifetime, has alluded Texas, for the most part. I, too, suffered the A&M beatdowns and remained a hugely loyal Texas fan. That, too, is a major feat lol.

I mean...Charles Whitman irl
I lost two friends, and a two more had their lives changed forever emotionally. Writer Robert Heard would tell you that having his shoulder taken off by that bullet is why he was an alcoholic. It was a tragedy of epic proportions, but we are talking about apples & hubcaps.

I stand by my post, hoping there are NO MORE posts on this subject.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back