New tires - F-150 4X4 -- BF Gdrich All Terrain?

Brisketexan

1,000+ Posts
I drive a Ford F-150 4x4 with PLENTY of miles on it. Original tires were Goodyear Wranglers. Soft as hell. I only got 38k miles out of them. Replaced them with BF Goodrich All Terrain TA tires -- pricey (about $185 a tire), but they have lasted me 50k+.

Well, after having my second flat of the summer (and I'd had a couple of slow leaks before that), and seeing the current tread condition, it's time -- I gotta spend 4 tires worth of money. I have really liked the BFG TA ATs -- pretty solid offroad traction (hunting and fishing type use, so sand and mud, but not DEEP heavy-duty fourwheeling for fun type mud), decent performance on the road, although a fair bit of road noise, and I think I lose a little bit of mpg compared to lighter tires.

Knowing that I like these, is there another tire I should look at that might cost a bit less, maybe give me slightly better road performance while not losing too much offroad performance?

I hate buying tires. But I hate changing flats in the summer. In a suit. Before I have to be in court. (As an aside, I have been changing tires since I was 12. I have NEVER had to change a tire in the winter -- only in the summer. WTF?)

I'm extremely happy with my Cooper Discoverers, awkward though the name may be. I've got the light truck tire, though, not the Discoverer ATR which is what it sounds like you'd want.

I have forever owned trucks - many with lift kits and huge tires, etc. I have always liked the BFG line of tires (mud terrain or at). Anyway, a few years ago I grew up and bought a denali. It is four wheel drive and the tires that came with it were crap. So I began investigating. I came up with the Bridgestone dueller at revo.

That my friend is the best regular tire I have ever owned. It lasted 60k miles and didn't have the road noise of the bfg or good year models I had previously owned. The ride was still very smooth and I noticed only a moderate decrease in my gas mileage. They were a bit more expensive, but well worth it in my mind.

In fact, when my wife's expedition needs new tires, that is what will be going on it.

revo review

I second that, MrMyke. Sears has the equivalent LTX- XC4 tires on sale for $75 on some sizes.

I have a set of 4 that have lasted over 80K mikes and are still doing great with minimal stress to the rubber and a great deal of traction left. They are on their second truck. I put them on my current truck when it was new 5 years ago after they were on my previous truck for 15K miles and 18 months.

If you don't go offroad very often get these tires, they have a road tread, are much quieter and you will get better mileage too.

They might outlast your truck and then you'll want to switch them over to your new one (like I did).

Dendox, how to the Bridgestones do offroad? I don't go offroad that much, but when I DO, I need some traction. I go through mud, soft sand, etc. getting to various hunting/fishing spots. It's important that I have SOME offroad capability from the tires. I wouldn't mind a slight step down from the BFG ATs that I have now, in the interest of better highway performance, noise, etc. But I still need some level of offroad capability. I see the Bridgestone Deuler AT 693 at Discount for $153 -- is that the type that you have? Or is it the Bridgestone Dueler AT 694 Revo ($175)? (Mine are relatively large -- 265/70/17, thus the stiff price). The Revo looks like it gets pretty good reviews, and has a 50k mile warranty, which is nice.

Ed, how are those Michelins in the light mud and soft sand? I see the Michelin LTX AT 2 for $172 at Discount. Of course, Micheline and BFG are the same manufacturer . . .

you could probably find a matching set here if you dig long enough...

tires_1.jpg

I will say that I was remakably impressed with how they handled off road. I haven't been in sand with them, but have been through more mud than I would have cared to go through and never had any issues. This is south texas mud and east texas clay. I will also say that the sidewall is tough. I used to hunt in the hill country and everyone on our lease would get bad flats (blow outs and the like) and the cause (as identified by the tire guys) was battered sidewalls from all of the rocks on our deer lease. I hunted out there for 2+ years and 60k miles on my tires and never had a flat - much less a bad one.

I had the REVO - I don't recall it having a number attached when I bought it. I just called up the firestone/bridgestone store and asked for a price. They gave me a very good one and I bought them there.

I can't emphasize this enough - I have had Goodyear, Michelin, bfg, and the bridgestone ( all in the all terrain versions) and the Revo was the best overall non-mud terrain tire I have ever owned. I am no expert, but I can almost guarantee I will continue to buy nothing but that tire in the future.

I remember when I we tire shopping and I would tell them my choices - when the Revo came out of my mouth all of the guys said - "man, that is a bad *** tire." Now was that because it was expensive? Not sure. But they all thought it would be a very good purchase.

They handle perfectly fine on the regular trails and the grassy areas. I have has a little slippage on soft sand but never been stuck in sand or shallow mud.

I don't drive through the thickets or over rocks too much.

I have had flats but a lot more pull the nail out and it did not even go through the tread incidents than having to patch anything.

I got the 6-ply Heavy duty rated tires since I do a some towing of heavy loads. That may be overkill for you.

They are really quiet and have lasted well beyond their expected lifespan.

Here is the link:
Michelin XC-LT4 265/70 R17

A comparison chart from tirerack on consumer sentiment:

tire.jpg

The Link

I had BFG Mud Terrains on my old Landcruiser - very loud on the road, but indestructible.

I have the Goodyears on my present vehicle - very soft (which has its advantages), but need to be replaced after relatively few miles.

had duelers on a 4x4 SUV, they were terrible, always getting flats. Switched to michelins and haven't had a problem (knock on wood)

100 Day Countdown 2024

Help us count down to game day with your favorite player pics.

100 Day Countdown 2024

Recent Threads

Back